« Home | Cowboys To Girls » | The Miseducation of Eva Angelina » | Remember The Time II » | I Have a Nightmare... » | Hello New World » | Never Knew A Love Like This » | Ball-A-Holic » | R U Experienced? » | A Rose By Any Other Name » | She's STILL Your Girlfriend » 

Monday, March 03, 2008 

Kittens on a Hot Tin (Grind) House

or Further Deconstructing My Unhealthy Obsession with Brunettes...

You might not know it by looking at her now but Elizabeth Taylor was super-fine back in her day.





I was on a Paul Newman kick of sorts at the time and screening CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF (1958) in ‘97 when I got to see for myself for the very first time just how sexy Liz used to be. In the clip above witness a surprisingly-curvy Taylor slip out of a form-fitting beige ensemble, saunter around in just her white satin slip (do women even still wear slips under their dresses nowadays?) and continuously throw herself at hard-drinking Paul Newman to no avail (I liked this movie so much, in fact, that I named my first dog “Brick” after Newman’s character here).

Premiere magazine says, "Famous for her violet eyes, radiant looks, love of jewels, and many, many marriages, Taylor's onscreen legacy (she grew up onscreen, from National Velvet to Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?) is matched by her larger-than-life celebrity. And in her prime, she was a lushly sexual star — watch Cleopatra; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Suddenly, Last Summer; and Reflections in a Golden Eye to see why her many, many husbands got down on one knee."



And while I openly lament the lack of true movie “stars” in Hollywood nowadays, I’ll gladly take some of the fly-by-night substitutes we’ve gotten in their place. Case in point: Electra and Elise Avellan.



For those of you who don’t know Electra and Elise, they are director Robert Rodriguez’s nieces and made their first (and so far, only) appearance in GRINDHOUSE as Marley Shelton’s “Crazy Babysitter Twins.” They had limited screen time and very few lines but I can’t think of one guy who saw them that didn’t want to see a WHOLE lot more after PLANET TERROR ended. Here’s that “more.”



...and they’re 22 years old, just in case you were wondering if they were legal. Sure, neither Electra nor Elise will ever be Elizabeth Taylor but in 2008, I figure they'll do in a pinch.